Monday, October 31, 2011

More Than Dwelling in Possibility

I have worked 38 years outside the home. Not because I wanted to but because finances demanded it. I went to college during the "budding" years of women's liberation. Most of the mothers of the girls with which I grew up were stay at home moms. That's all I ever wanted to do...be a stay at home mom. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

As I end my teaching career (31 years) and begin my "dream" job, I have a few thoughts to share. (I'll keep this short.) As much as I appreciate the jobs I've had...teacher, librarian, lighting & kitchen planning consultant & apartment manager...I've always felt unsettled...like there was a puzzle part missing. Teaching came close to the "best fit"...but even then, I knew there was a longing there that had not been fulfilled.

The past few weeks have revealed that missing piece. I will not lie, I am tired. Working seven days straight isn't the easiest thing I've ever done...HOWEVER...there is something about laboring at something that you truly love and want to do that helps you bypass a tired body. When you are excited about driving to work, never check the clock and don't even give Little Debbie Oatmeal Pies a thought..you know you are onto something BIG!

I have no idea how long this venture will last for me...maybe a short while or maybe for a reasonably long time...but no matter the length...I am extremely grateful for the chance to do something I've always dreamed of doing. I've been given an opportunity that some people never are given or maybe never take.

When my mother died, it shook me to my very core. I saw how fragile and fleeting this thing we call life really is. Her death helped nourish a desire in me and gave me the courage to "go out on a limb". When my son called and said, "I've found us a building", it was the push I needed. When the hubster "fronted" me the money to get going, it gave me a life preserver.

Now all I need are good customers and continued vision! May I encourage you with this thought? Don't wait until it's too late. Realize your dream if at all possible. "Dwell in possibility" and (with all due respect to Emily Dickinson) don't stop there...make possibility happen. If you succeed, hallelujah! If you don't score, at least you took the ball and ran with it!


"Dwellings" Holiday Open House

Saturday, November 12, 2011

10 A.M. until 5 P.M.

Please, join us!


I could have sold this hutch several times,

but it's the one item in the shop that I truly love.

The hutch is finally inside the shop and decorated for Christmas!

I can now die a happy woman.

5 comments:

  1. No dying allowed, Angela. I am so happy you have found your missing piece. It gives me hope that I can still find mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly spoken, as usual! I am so excited for you and can not wait till your open house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray the joy of the Lord will be your strength for those long days. I'm happy for your finding the "missing piece". So you are no longer a teacher. When did that happen? Sounds like changing horses mid-stream (semester?). So is this a store you'll be selling things in or is this going to be the decorating business you had talked about.

    Sorry I lost touch but am interested to know more on this new venture. God is the God of second chances and along that line, I think, of second careers. I'm convinced many people never follow the longing God has put in their hearts and drown those desires in front of TV and live vicarious lives through those on the big screen or through their kids. I'm afraid of hearing from God one day, "What have you done, good and faithful servant?" rather than "Well done good and faithful servant."

    Anyway, your article makes me think of Ecclesiastes 3:11 (ESV)
    11 "He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man’s heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end."

    I am grateful for this beauty He has given you in this time in your life. But because of the the eternal nature of your heart I know that even this will not be enough, because He has made you for eternal life with Him. So enjoy the pleasure He gives knowing this momentary joy is only a foretaste of what He has ahead for us all who love Him and His appearing. Sorry, I think I'm sounding preachy. I tend to philosophize on my days off but I'm reflecting on my life in Peru, the joys and the challenges as I write you.

    Hope this communicates my happiness for you as the bottom line. Trying to communicate in Spanish has me pretty insecure about my ability to communicate at all at this point. Things are going well for us here but like I say, I'm reflecting today.
    May God bless you richly with His presence in the days ahead,
    Steve Hill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's hear it for the "pushers" and "preservers"! Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might be in the market for some "shabby chic" items for wedding decorations. Any ideas in your shop???

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you!